Our mission is to educate and protect the public on Pensacola Beach. The division’s core competency is dealing with incidents that develop in the aquatic environment. We contract with Gulf Islands National Seashore to provide lifeguard coverage for the seashore's three swimming beaches: Opal, Langdon and Johnson Beach. Lifeguards provide coverage year-round with our operations split between two seasons: tower and beach patrol. The beach patrol operates mid-October to the start of tower season, which generally begins March 1. During the beach patrol season, the primary function is implementation of the surf warning system, responding to aquatic emergencies and maintenance of equipment. In tower season, lifeguards staff six Gulf-front towers and a tower at the Quietwater public use areas. During the beach patrol season, lifeguards patrol the beach with the use of patrol vehicles.
FY 2016-2017 Accomplishments
- Supported a successful Pensacola Beach Blue Angels Airshow.
- Established the marked area of the airshow box.
- Interacted with almost 100,000 visitors to Pensacola Beach.
- Assisted EMS with care and transport of patients from the beach.
- Worked to prevent injuries in the aquatic environment.
- 94,000 contacts with beach visitors
- 26,000 preventative actions
- Rescued 63 people from drowning
- Assisted 207 people in moderate distress
- Attended 45 major medical incidents
- Helped locate 117 lost children
- Assisted Escambia County EMS with 35 patients requiring transport
- 14,000 people reached through water safety presentations