Below is a listing of events occurring in January at Escambia County Extension. For more information about Extension events, please call 850-475-5230, visit sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/escambia or like Escambia Extension on Facebook.
Escambia County Extension location
3740 Stefani Road, Cantonment
- Thursday, Jan. 10, 6-7 p.m. at the Escambia County Central Office Complex, 3363 West Park Place, Pensacola
Jane Daugherty from the University of West Florida Library will give a presentation titled “Online Fact vs. Fiction."
Local Water Quality
- Wednesday, Jan. 16, 6 p.m. at the Pensacola Library, 239 N. Spring St., Pensacola
Join UF/IFAS Escambia County Extension Sea Grant Agent Rick O’Connor for a discussion on local water quality. The focus of the discussion will be on be nutrients and bacteria in our local waters.
Arbor Day Tree Giveaway & Workshop
- Saturday, Jan. 19, 9-11 a.m. at the Escambia County Extension, 3740 Stefani Road, Cantonment
Each attendee will receive two free native 1-gallon trees. Species available include: Red maple, Chickasaw plum, swamp chestnut oak, and fringe tree. Arbor Day mail art contest winners will receive prizes during the program. For more information, contact Carrie Stevenson, Coastal Sustainability Agent III, UF IFAS Extension, at 850-475-5230 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Support for the event is provided by the Florida Forest Service, Resource Management Service and Escambia County.
Arbor Day Art Contest
- Jan. 1-15 at Escambia County Extension, 3740 Stefani Road, Cantonment
It's time for the annual Arbor Day Mail Art Contest! All ages are welcome. The top three winners will be given prizes for each of the age categories: youth, teen, and adult. To participate, drop off or mail an original drawing, collage, painting or photo — you can even decorate a postcard or envelope—related to the theme, “Plant Trees Today for Shade Tomorrow” and send to: Arbor Day mail art contest, Escambia County Extension, 3740 Stefani Road, Cantonment, FL 32533. Be creative and have fun! The contest ends Jan. 15 and awards will be given in the morning at the Arbor Day tree giveaway on Jan. 19 at the Extension office.
Elder Health and Nutrition Education
- Saturday, Jan. 5, 10:30-11 a.m., Molino Library Health Fair booth
- Monday, Jan. 14, 10:30-11 a.m., 900 N. “F” St., Pensacola
- Tuesday, Jan. 15, 10:30-11 a.m., 601 E. Mallory St., Pensacola
- Monday, Jan. 28, 10:30-11 a.m., 1700 N. “L” St., Pensacola
- Wednesday, Jan. 30, 10:30-11 a.m., 1400 E. Johnson Ave., Pensacola
Getting Started with Microgreens
- Thursday, Jan. 24, 9-10:30 a.m. at Escambia County Extension, 3740 Stefani Road, Cantonment
Learn the techniques for growing a variety of microgreens to add to your favorite dishes. Cost is $6 for materials and samples. For more information, please contact Beth Bolles at 850-475-5230 or email@example.com.